Sunday, February 17, 2013

Kayla's Response 2/17


I definitely agree that Lupita needs more attention in the classroom. It seems that the teacher hasn’t taken the time to get to know her so I agree she needs to spend some time asking her the questions that you have posed. I also think that once these questions have been answered the instruction does need to change. I think that it is important for the teachers to make learning relatable to all of their students and since Lupita has a very different background she may need different questions. I think that the teacher should encorporate some of Lupita’s funds of knowledge within the classwork. This not only helps the work become more relatable to Lupita but it introduces the entire class to a different culture or different ideas. Just as Lupita is learning from the class, the class can learn from Lupita.

Similarly, I think that Jonathan would benefit if his teacher tried to get to know him better as well. Learning more about Jonathan’s funds of knowledge and interests could give the teacher insight as to what reading would interest him best. I definitely agree that reading groups would benefit not only Jonathan but every student in the class because they can learn together with peers of similar reading ability. The reading groups should be tested often, perhaps once a week, that way the groups are continually being checked and changed since all students learn to read at different speeds. I love the card idea! I have never seen this in a classroom but I love the idea of Jonathan having a discrete way of letting the teaching know he needs help. Perhaps this is an idea for the entire classroom!

I agree with the idea of creating a FBA/BIP for Eddie. I think that this should be a step before going to a special education teacher or psychologist. Perhaps the cause of Eddie’s behavior can be identified through an FBA and then the teacher can change her instruction. I think that Eddie would benefit from self-monitoring strategies because he could keep track of his own behavior and become more self aware. The reinforcements should be something that Eddie is interested in. Learning more about what Eddie is interested in will also help the teacher create lessons that may interest Eddie and this could be beneficial to his short attention span. The FBA and BIP should be evaluated often to make sure it is being implemented correctly and is being effective. If various BIPs are not being successful then I would bring it to the attention of the special education teacher and the psychologist.

I love that you agree with the readings about teachers needing to make accommodations for their students. The teacher is there to help the student so it is their job to do the most that they can for each student!

No comments:

Post a Comment