Friday, February 8, 2013

Kayla's Initial Post 2/8 Literacy Center



    While I was in my second grade class I collected two writing samples from two writers. I chose one writer because I saw many words that were spelled phonetically but she seemed very familiar with CVC words. The second writer I chose because I was impressed by them using blends and digraphs correctly whereas I saw many other students struggling with them. Due to these two very different writing samples I would have to say that my class is split between Letter Name-alphabetic Spelling (Stage 2) and Within-word Pattern Spelling (Stage 3). This makes sense because my students are about 7 years old and according to Thompkins, Stage 2 occurs around ages 5-7 and Stage 3 occurs around ages 7-9.

    In my struggling writer I notice that words such as “because” are spelled “bcus”. This shows that they are listening to the sound of the word but are unfamiliar with how to spell it. However, CVC words are all spelled correctly such as “can”. I do not see a high use of consonant blends

In the high achieving writer I see words such as “party” spelled correctly which shows their knowledge on r-controlled words. This student is taking more risks and using larger words such as “listening”. However, there are still a few mistakes such as they meant to write “from” and wrote “form”.

    A literacy center that both writers would benefit from would focus on r-controlled vowels. The stage 2 writer could get introduced to the idea of r-controlled vowels and the stage 3 writer needs to become more accurate with her spelling of r-controlled vowels. I found a really cool activity on Pinterest that will help kids visualize the words and make a game out of figuring out which vowel goes in each word.


    The students get paper train cars that have r-controlled words in them with the vowel missing. Once they fill in the vowel they connect the train cars together that have the same vowel. This seems like a great activity for introducing the concept as well as practicing it. These could even be taped to their desk as a resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment