Sunday, February 24, 2013

Altenberger Response Post 2/25

I agree with Stacey's post about the importance of asking students questions about their ideas and what they read. After completing the reading I see the importance of asking open ended questions. Thinking back to my education and observation time in classes, I frequently see teachers asking questions that have a specific answer. I also agree with Stacey that while reading most readers can use these strategies without noting that they are using them. Using these strategies becomes habit after awhile.

When reading I often check my comprehension. Obviously I have found that to be very important when studying for tests. I will restate something that I just read or will look something up if I have questions. Which also means that if I don't understand something, then I question it. To help me remember important parts of a book I will highlight. I really enjoy books when I can relate to a character or aspect of the book, which often times involves making connections. Many times I will find myself thinking about schemas in a book and comparing them to my own ideas or experiences. Visualization is also a tool that I have used when reading throughout the years. I can recall when reading Harry Potter how I visualized what was happening, especially since I read them before the movies came out. When I read Harry Potter I was always trying to make predictions about what happened next. Reading strategies can be very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment