Monday, February 25, 2013

Kayla Response 2/25


I agree with both Stacey and Allison about how I often use comprehension strategies without even thinking about them. When I read I definitely go through most of the comprehension strategies that the Gregory and Cahill explained, especially visualization. Usually this only occurs when I am reading a fiction novel or a story within a non-fiction piece. Often times I feel as if I am not reading words at all but I am seeing images play in my head. This has helped me comprehend as I read because I am creating the image in my mind and able to see things rather than just reading words. Making connections is another one that I use quite often but perhaps not enough. Sometimes I don’t stop to think about connections to my own life or things I already know that might help me better comprehend what I’m reading. I do this randomly as I read but maybe if I stopped to do it explicitly than my reading comprehension would increase. Making inferences is definitely one that I use without even stopping to think about it. This is very important to reading comprehension or else all readers would be literalist as the Applegate article explained.

Also, as Stacey mentioned many of her students could be put into the profiles of comprehension I think that each of my students at one time or another have exhibited one of these profiles. Each profile I read I could think of at least one student that has shown this. I would need more time in my classroom seeing reading comprehension assessments to know if these students always exhibit these profiles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment