The common theme throughout this week's articles is about accommodations and how to individually help students. Each of the students listed on the "What Do You Think?" page provide reason for their teacher to have some concerns.
Out of the three students, Lupita is the one that I had to think more about what to do. I feel that there are questions I have to ask about her before I can make the best plan for her. Since she has been in Mexico with her Grandmother did she know English prior to entering this second grade class? If so, is she receiving ELL support from the school? Who told the teacher that Lupita has had limited interactions with crayons, scissors, toys, etc? Did the teacher designate one or a couple of students to be welcoming to Lupita when she arrived and to help her transition if needed? How much testing did the school do about her academic past and to see what she knows now? I think the statement about the teacher forgetting she is there is a sad one. If she is that quiet, then the teacher should figure out a way for her to participate more--maybe she would feel more comfortable working with a partner or small group instead of the whole class. I think it is important for the teacher to make her feel welcome and to get to know her well, especially since that can influence how she learns. Since Lupita solved the puzzle without problem, did the teacher not have her try one before and just took the word that she hadn't really done one? I would keep having Lupita use items on that list that she supposedly has not had much interaction with. I would keep partnering her up with other classmates so they can help one another. I would call on her or check her work more to see what she knows and if she is understanding the material. It definitely sounds like Lupita needs more attention in school. I don't think the teacher needs to change any instruction necessarily, but to keep monitoring how Lupita is doing with her work and if she is comprehending well.
The next student is Jonathan. Since Jonathan is struggling with reading, I would try to get him more reading practice and instruction. If there is a school reading specialist for him to work with, I would suggest that. I hope in class she is doing some sort of reading group and other reading activities for the students. Those activities help students get more practice reading and allow the teacher to work on reading with either individual students or students at similar reading levels. If she is not doing something like that in her classroom, that should be an adjustment. I would also say that that adjustment might not only help Jonathan, but other readers in the class. I would also be interested to find out if he is doing any reading at home. It sounds like there are two issues surrounding Jonathan--reading and asking for help. I would try to find out if he is uncomfortable asking for help, if he doesn't think he needs it, etc. If he is uncomfortable asking for help in front of the whole class, I would try to make an accommodation for him. Maybe the teacher could have a non-verbal system set up with Jonathan. He could have 3 cards: one color card representing that he is doing his work and understands it, another color card stating that he might need help soon and another color card saying that he does need help. Since he excels at other areas of his life, it probably is difficult for him to not do well with reading. I would try to set up a motivation system with him as well.
It sounds like the teacher should make a FBA/BIP for Eddie. There's a couple of things to look into: 1. If he has ADHD or something similar or 2. If he is getting up so much, then that could mean that he doesn't want to do his work. If ADHD is the source behind him constantly moving and not being focused, then she should talk to the school Special Education teacher or psychologist about him getting checked. If he just likes to move around a lot and has trouble focusing, then the teacher can make a positive reinforcement system with him. For example, if he only gets up once an hour, then he can get a check mark and all of those will add up for a positive reinforcement. Or if he completes so many assignments, then he could also get a positive reinforcement. I would also try to give him something to hold onto, as it mentioned in one of the articles. Students even like holding on items such as a balloon filled with flour. It should be fairly easy for the teacher to find something for him to hold onto during class instruction. As the article stated, it could be good for Eddie to continue seeing lots of visual items in school. I would also want to find out what he enjoys learning about to see if that will help him focus.
As it said in the readings, it is necessary for teachers to make accommodations for their students. If it is something that will help the student thrive in school, then why shouldn't the teacher do it? I agree that it is important for the teacher to remain flexible to help every student.
No comments:
Post a Comment