Saturday, April 13, 2013

Letter to Parent Intial Post


Dear Parent,

As we wind down the school year, I want to make you are aware of a few activities our classroom will be engaging in for the remainder of our time together. Hank has made many gains in literacy from the beginning of the year, and I am very proud of all of the improvements he has made. Currently, our classroom is working on our decoding skills which means Hank has been using context clues to help him discover the meaning of a word he is unfamiliar with. When reading, Hank has really been focusing on the vocabulary, reading every word, and trying to understand the story. However, when doing this Hank has not been reading with prosody, which is rhythm and intonation. In the following weeks I am going to continue to work with Hank so that he may begin to read more fluently and ultimately comprehends a passage. There are a few more skills he will master in the classroom before the end of the year, and I plan on outlining these skills in this letter. 
Building a word wall is a strategy that will help Hank develop a larger vocabulary that can be applied when reading and writing. When reading books I will be encouraging him to find new words so they can then be added to his word wall. By adding to the wall when Hank learns or encounters new words will hopefully allow him to recognize them in his future readings and also allow him to use these new words in his writing. Becoming familiar with new words will help him read more fluently and may also impact his comprehension. You can help Hank by building a word wall in your home and gradually adding to this wall as his vocabulary increases or when encountering new words around the house. It is important that Hank practices his reading skills every night as practice will not only build a stronger vocabulary but also help him read more fluently.
            I plan on trying to enhance Hanks’ understanding of the stories given to him for the remainder of the year by using guided or partner reading strategies throughout classroom time.  Partner or guided reading allows partners or small groups of students to work together and read at various levels.  Students, who are at about the same reading level, will read with other students at similar levels.  This allows students to read at their desired pace and learn from their other peers.  I think Hank will really benefit from learning from his peers, because he will be able to share ideas and experiences with them. When working with Hank individually he spends a lot of time sounding out words he cannot pronounce or has a tendency to skip over words he is unfamiliar with. Spending time trying to figure out what a word means, sounding out a word and even skipping a word interrupts fluency and may result in a lack of comprehension. Therefore, I think this would be a great way for Hank to not only work on comprehending the story, but also with his word fluency!  He will be reading out loud with his group, and answering discussion questions along the way.
            After reading a story, which incorporates partner or guided reading, I plan on having Hank and his partner or group work on writing skills using interactive writing activities.  The writing activity will be completed within each reading group and students will take turns answering questions and filling out a chart related to the story.  The questions will involve comprehensive questions where the students may have to go back and reference the story.  Each student will have to fill out their own chart and recall knowledge from the story they just read.  Students will be allowed to work together and create answers from each other’s thoughts.  Hank will really benefit from this activity, because he will not only work on his comprehending skills, but also his writing.  I think Hank will have a great time learning from his peers and sharing knowledge as well. 
            Lastly, when wrapping up the year the students will be working on a readers theater projects in which groups of students will perform a read aloud of a chosen book. This will allow the students to work collaboratively, become engaged in a piece of written text while practicing reading aloud with expression and prosody. Reader’s theater will help Hank further develop his fluency skills with repeated exposure to the same text, work towards improving his comprehension all while integrating reading, writing, speaking, listening and performing in an authentic context. Also, this project is designed to create self-confidence and demonstrate that reading can be enjoyable.
            As the intern of the classroom, I plan on working with Hanks’ group and will help lead the group’s activities.  I want to make sure students understand what they need to complete in order to participate to their best of abilities.  I am excited to see what Hank and his group can accomplish as a team, and I hope his skills improve as we move toward the end of the year.  Again, I note that Hank is doing great and that I am so proud of him and all of his accomplishments. 

Sincerely,

Miss. Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment