When doing my reading group I will at first be working with four students. Each of these students read at the lowest level in their class. I have worked with them each week and have observed them struggling with aspects of reading. Their running records also indicates that they are reading and comprehending lower than they should be. Since Reading Street is used in their class I have the story that their class is going to read and have lessons based around. Each week I usually take this group into the hall in groups of two and we will take a picture walk through the book, look at the vocabulary list in it, read the story and answer the questions at the end. In groups of two I will do that again for the story "Party for Pedro."
After I do that small group reading activity, I am going to work with my focus student (from the group above) on a more focused reading strategy and book of my choosing. This student is a really choppy reader which limits her comprehension. I want to focus on her retelling skills to see if she can recall what she read.
No comments:
Post a Comment