Sunday, April 14, 2013

Barnes letter to parent response 4.14


I learned a lot about Hank! From what I read I feel like I could have him in my classroom and know where to continue on his reading and writing skills. The letter was very detailed and individualized for Hank. I like how Stacey touched on each aspect of reading that Hank was having trouble with such as reading with prosody (fluency) which then affected his comprehension. With each issue that Stacey brought up she gave a good suggestion on how to help Hank improve. As a parent this would show me that Stacey has really gotten to know my student and already has plans on how to help them. With every issue Stacey also said something positive about the student. As a parent this would show me that Stacey is on my side and agrees that my student is awesome (as all parents do). Since Stacey points out the skills that the student already has as well as areas that they have greatly improved on shows that Stacey is not just noticing the bad things but is also encouraging my student.

I loved all of the ideas that Stacey gave on how to help Hank. I think that readers’ theatre would really help him since he will be able to read his lines and become familiar with the text and therefore would learn how to read with prosody. The word wall is helpful for the other aspect of fluency, his need for decoding. If he becomes familiar with words then he will not have to decode them while he is reading. All of these tasks would increase his comprehension so as a parent I see that Stacey has really thought out these lessons to help my student. It is very important that Stacey ended the letter on a positive note! This leaves the parents feeling proud of their student and hoping to help them improve further.

No comments:

Post a Comment