Monday, March 18, 2013

Stacey's NLP reflection

-->

My conceptual understanding of literacy has changed a lot since the beginning of this class. I used to think of literacy as just the “ability to read and write”. This class has helped me see that literacy expands much more beyond that and I have become aware of literacy all around me. When first defining new literacies I viewed a presentation, which said literacy is “the ability to use digital technologies to identify questions, locate information, evaluate the information, synthesize the information to answer questions, and communicate the answers to others.” This definition does not even begin to capture what literacy even is. I was focusing a lot on how technology plays a part in literacy without thinking about environmental, political, cultural, visual, etc.  Since we had to pick a new literacy to research, I chose visual literacy. I honestly didn’t realize how much visual literacy is used in everyday life and how much it can enhance a classroom. Visual Literacy involves interpreting, recognizing, creating, and evaluating images to create meaning and communicate. It takes visual literacy skills to read signs, symbols, logos, and even one another’s emotions. We are surrounded by visual literacy and we use it everyday! How would we find our favorite restaurant, a women’s restroom, or a new place if we were not able to recognize logos, signs or even read a map. Visual literacy involves visually looking at something and extracting meaning, creating meaning, and even relating it to something you know.  Visual Literacy is also used throughout all of the subjects in school. Graphic organizers such as concept maps, Venn diagrams, flow charts, timelines, outlines, etc. can either trigger our skills and help us recognize what to do (compare and contrast with a Venn diagram) or help us represent information in a new way. A high percentage of learning is now visual and this helps both ELL and ESL students as they can interpret images with little linguistic skills. Visual literacy can overlap with several of the other literacies as ones culture can affect how images are read, but these images may also portray emotion.

Literacy can involve using technologies as technology helps students interact with images, videos, songs, links, etc.  The growing world around us requires a great deal of skill in new literacies in order to participate. We need the ability to communicate in various different forms, technologies, circumstances, and places, whereas the more traditional definition of literacy involves only the skills of reading and writing. Using technology can enhance one’s digital literacy skills. As I created a Prezi about visual literacy, I was really able to organize my thoughts and ideas I learned about this literacy. As I mentioned earlier, my original thoughts about literacy were very constrained. I now believe that because of the growing and connecting world we live in today, to be a truly literate person, you must have knowledge in the various types of literacies and not just print
After exploring different types of literacy I am more aware of literacy in different places and this is important as a future teacher. For my students to understand the importance of diversity within literacy, I must understand diversity within literacy. It is my job as a teacher to expose my students to various types of literacy whether it be cultural, environmental, social, visual etc.

Providing effective literacy instruction means to use tactics that each student is able to understand and benefit from. Providing effective literacy instruction to diverse learners is important when teaching students to become literate individuals. I learned that there are so many forms of literacy instruction, that it is almost impossible not to be able to engage students. Specifically with visual literacy, it is easy to work with English Language Learners. Using visuals, such as symbols and images, which are usually universal throughout the world can really help a student that is struggling with English. Showing students pictures with the associated words can help them learn how to read or become more proficient with English. Beyond that, some students are very visual learners. Visual literacy can help a student organize their thoughts by drawing charts and diagrams. Beyond that, visual literacy is applicable in all subjects. Students use time lines and maps in social studies, symbols and graphs in mathematics, flow charts, and diagrams in science and graphic organizers in language arts. Books with images are also used throughout the different subject areas.
Students and classrooms are becoming more diverse and this means that teachers need to find a more diverse range of techniques in teaching new literacies and technologies in order to appeal to them in the most effective means that are possible.  One way in which this can be achieved is through expressing information through a variety of new technologies.  In the world today, children are exposed with different technologies at increasingly younger ages, and therefore they are used to this extremely stimulating electronic based environment.  This means that some children may need this technology incorporated into their learning to stay tuned and interested in the information that they are learning. 

When teaching my language arts lesson I used the book, Voices in the Park and now after completing this New Literacies Project I realized how I incorporated visual literacy into this lesson without being fully aware of it. By this I mean I required the students to analyze the pictures and think about what they told us about the different voices. The students were looking at the colors, textures, use of line to help them interpret the illustrations. Emotional literacy was also used as the students again were instructed describe the different characters using the text and illustrations. The students found that one character was sad, depressed, un-hopeful, etc. but that after a trip to the park with his daughter he was able to be cheered up. Cultural literacy was also used as everyone’s diverse backgrounds played a part in how they interpreted these images. A fifth grade GLEC: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.7 says students will “analyze how visual and multimedia elements contribute to the meaning, tone, or beauty of a text (e.g., graphic novel, multimedia presentation of fiction, folktale, myth, poem).”

As a digital literacy learner, I had to step out of my comfort zone for this assignment. I had never done a Prezi before and in my original notes I was unaware of how to fully use this technology but after the hours put into this presentation, I find it way more interactive and interesting than PowerPoint. I usually always use PowerPoint because that is what I am comfortable with but Prezi allows you to have frames within frames, and create a frame around a sentence instead of having a whole slide, allows you to add YouTube videos and images. As a teacher I think it is important to work at staying up to date with the technology so students have options. I explored another New Literacies Project and the group used Popplet, I had never heard of this technology but could definitely foresee myself using this technology. This site allows students to create a concept map or a graphic organizer in a more interactive way. Instead of having the students use Word or just fill out a graphic organizer, having them use Popplet will allow for more creativity as images, songs and videos can be uploaded and the whole thing can be color coded. Using new technologies such as Popplet is also more engaging than just filling out a concept map on paper. The students can then search the web for more information on their topic, add pictures, and really be in charge of their own learning. When using any new technology it is important students understand what they are supposed to be doing, how the technology and the rules in case they are caught using it in a way they should not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment