In my class right now, the students are reading a book called, "Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit." It ties into their unit of what do animals do when the seasons change. Some of the words that follow the three tiers from the book are: wooly, thick, winter, gather, melted, bloom, spring.
Some of these words help students understand the season the story is referring to while others are describing words. In first grade a lot of students are focused on seeing the pictures in stories. I would have the students look through the book at the pictures to make an education guess about what the words mean. I would later have them work with a buddy to talk about what they each think the word means and how it is used in the book. As a class I would listen for student input on what they think each of the words mean. I would read the page that word was on for each one and ask the students if the context seemed right. If there was a disagreement on the meaning of a word, students could go online or look at a Thesaurus to see synonyms. After the students understand what the words mean, they would have to write sentences using each of the words correctly. Students could use more than one word in a sentence as long as it was used in the right context.
No comments:
Post a Comment