Monday, January 7, 2013

January 14th Kayla Post


Goals:
  • -       I hope to broaden my understanding of various teaching methods. I am only comfortable and familiar with methods I have personally seen and I would really like to see how other methods are implemented and their outcomes.
  • -       I hope to become better at choosing which teach strategies are helpful to different learners. All students learn differently so I hope I can become knowledgeable on how to select the strategies I will use with which students. Since my focus is on Special Education I am specifically curious on what teaching methods and strategies will help me with my learners with special needs.
Notes:
  •           I hope to work in an urban school district because I feel that this is where I am needed most. I want to teach in an area where I can make a difference for the students I am working with.
  • -       Specifically, I am interested in learning how to teach special education students that have been left behind in literacy. I want to know various teaching strategies that I can use to catch these students up to their peers.
  • -       Specifically, the “Teaching for all Children” reading showed me that I want to be an informed teacher. The article pointed out that most teachers in urban areas do not feel that they struggle in their reading or literacy knowledge but that they struggle in their understanding of their students’ lives. I want to have a better understanding of how it feels to be a student living in poverty then coming into the classroom and being told that they need to learn literacy. Students in poverty have many more concerns than just their schoolwork. In order to be a successful teacher in an urban school I need to realize what my students go through each day so I have resources available for them in my classroom. I want to learn how to teach diverse learners so I am not caught off guard in my first year of teaching. 



No comments:

Post a Comment